Posts Tagged ‘toxins’
Leaky gut? Sounds pretty gross, doesn’t it? Well it is. And it’s just what it sounds like, too. The intestines become permeable, allowing toxins, bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites to enter the blood. Ewww! Leaky gut can cause a whole host of health issues, usually misdiagnosed and mistreated. (See symptoms below.)
Causes of leaky gut
* Gluten intolerance & food sensitivities
* Use of antacids, antibiotics & non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs- Ibuprofen, aspirin, Naproxen)
* Over consumption of alcohol
* Regularly overeating
Symptoms of a leaky gut
* Digestive complaints, including: gas, constipation and/or diarrhea
* Chronic fatigue
* Skin conditions, including rashes, rosacea, & eczema
* Fuzzy thinking
* Mood swings
* Weakened immunity
* Chronic joint or muscle aches
* Asthma, bronchitis, respiratory infections
* Sinus congestion
* Food allergies
Foods to Avoid or Minimize
In order to heal leaky gut it is necessary to temporarily eliminate all of the following:
* Junk & processed foods
* Refined grains, especially white flours
* Starchy vegetables- beets, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, turnips, yams
* High glycemic fruits-banana, dried fruits, fruit juices
* Refined & fake sugars
* Alcohol, sodas, and caffeinated drinks
Foods to Eat
Make sure to eat as much organic as you can. Take a look at my posting on which foods are most important to eat organic.
* Lemon in water daily
* Non-starchy vegetables, including: alfalfa sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, bean sprouts, beet greens, bell peppers, bok choi, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chives, cilantro, collard greens, cucumber, dandelion greens, eggplant, endive, escarole, fennel, garlic, ginger, green beans, horseradish, kale, leeks, okra, onions, radish, romaine lettuce, mustard greens, parsley, pickles, sauerkraut, scallions, snap peas, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, summer squash, Swiss chard, tomatoes, watercress, zucchini.
* Fresh fruits, including: apples, apricots, berries , cantaloupe, cherries, currants, dates, figs, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew melon, kiwi, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, persimmon, pineapple, plums, pomegranate, tangerine, watermelon.
Supplements to Take
* Digestive enzymes
* Chinese herbs
* Plant Source Omega 3s
There is hope! The microvilli in the small intestine can be repaired. They normally regenerate within four to five days. The healing process may take longer, depending on the severity of the damage.
Live Natural. Live Well.
Vulvo what? Vulvodynia (vul-vo-DIN-ee-uh) is chronic vulvar pain. The pain, burning or irritation associated with vulvodynia can be so uncomfortable that having sex or sitting for extended periods becomes unthinkable. Yes, you read correctly. Ouch! The poor women who suffer from this condition are often misdiagnosed or told nothing is wrong.
Less than 200,000 women in the US have been diagnosed with vulvodynia. So you might be asking, “Why is Heather writing about such a rare condition?” Because I’ve seen an increase in cases in the last 6 months and most ‘specialists’ don’t really know what to do. The increase might be a coincidence or that doctors are getting better at diagnosing. I’m not sure. Western medicine doesn’t have much success in doing more than temporarily reducing symptoms. One of the recommendations for this incredibly painful condition is to wear cotton underwear. Really?!?
Topical creams, gels, hormones, steroids, and/or antidepressants are the typical courses of action. Some of them may help temporarily.
Some of suggestions for treating the illness, not just the symptoms
- Test for Candida and treat it. Candida is overgrowth of yeast that can lead to many health issues.
- If you have a history of sexual trauma, seek professional help. Acupuncture is great for dealing with any physical or emotional trauma.
- Eat an alkaline diet, to reduce inflammation and acidity throughout your body.
- Support your immune system through proper nutrition and supplementation.
- Reduce your exposure to chemicals, pollutants, and other toxins.
- Do a cleanse with a qualified physician to reduce your levels of toxins. This will help reduce inflammation and balance your immune system.
For those of you who are suffering from this rare condition or think you might be, there is hope. Many of my patients have experienced relief within a few months. Some are symptom-free in less than a year.
Live natural. Live well.
I’ve had so many patients ask about the potential side effects of radiation hitting the West Coast. This gives me a chance to talk about my favorite subject- FOOD.
Whole Grains & Legumes
Brown rice should be lightly roasted to increase your protection against radiation.
Adzuki beans- little red beans used in soups and stews- are great for improving kidney function, which is necessary for removing toxins.
Other delicious grains to help protect you include: buckwheat, millet, and quinoa.
Most sea vegetables contain a polysaccharide that binds to radioactive strontium and other pollutants. This helps to eliminate them from the body.
Kombu, a common kelp, can be used when cooking beans or vegetables. Add to your soup or salad a few tablespoons of sea vegetables, such as nori (used in sushi rolls), hiziki, alaria, arame, or wakame.
1 or 2 bowls of unpasteurized miso soup every day, preferably prepared with kombu seaweed and root vegetables.
Miso broth with root vegetables (like carrots, beets, yams, onions, turnips and radishes) stimulates digestive enzymes and supports the elimination of pollutants and toxins from the blood.
Eat Your Veggies
Any dark, leafy greens will promote detoxification, including: dandelion, kale, cilantro, and chard. Other veggies to alkaline the body and reduce inflammation are: pumpkin, squash, garlic, avocado, and broccoli.
Root vegetables are a great source of antioxidants and support your kidneys.
Add tumeric- the spice that makes curry yellow- to your veggies to reduce inflammation and support your immune system.
Adding lemon to your filtered water supports the liver’s function to eliminate toxins. It also stimulates your metabolism. Who wouldn’t want that? I recommend drinking lemon water all the time, but especially first thing in the morning to jumpstart your day. No matter what the circumstances.
The Iodide Question
There are many conflicting studies about the benefits and efficacy of taking iodine to protect your thyroid from radiation. So I’m hesitant to say anything about it. I personally think taking a low dose potassium iodide pill is usually safe as long as you don’t have a thyroid condition already. Short-term use should be fine, but please consult your physician first. According to the CDC, a single dose is all you need. Should radioactive iodine remain in the environment for more than 24 hours, another dose might be required. You shouldn’t take any at all unless you know that there is an immediate radiation hazard.
Other Steps to Take
Reishi and Cordyceps mushrooms protects your bone marrow from radiation and other toxins.
Spirulina and chlorella help the liver to flush on toxins, including radiation.
If you don’t like to or don’t know how to cook with tumeric, as suggested above, you can take it as supplement. 2-4 grams per day is should be enough.
Some homeopathic remedies to treat radiation: radium bromatum, uranium nitricum, plutonium nitricum, x-ray and plumbum. Please consult a qualified physician or homeopath before taking.
Taking a bath in Epsom salts, sea salt, bentonite clay, and/or baking soda to support your body’s ability to release toxins.
Acupuncture has long been established as great for detoxification and supporting the thyroid & immune system.
Foods To Avoid
You want to make sure your body can easily eliminate toxins, especially radiation. The healthier you are, the better your organs can do their job. So you want to avoid acidic foods and foods that slow down your body’s ability to detoxify. It is important to avoid coffee, sodas, refined sugars, dairy, and ‘white’ (bread, rice, etc…) and processed foods
All of these tips should be incorporated in to your daily lives, whether or not you’re directly affected by nuclear fall out in Japan. Eating a plant based, alkalizing diet will help protect you from almost any disease or pollution.
Live natural. Live well.
Do I Need to Detox?
I get asked this question a lot. Our bodies aren’t made to handle the amount of toxins we’re constantly exposed to. Toxin overload can lead to a whole host of illnesses and side effects. Take the quiz below to see if you need to do a cleanse.
- Do you eat processed foods, fast food and/or eat out regularly?
- Do you eat non-organic animal products and produce?
- Do you consume genetically altered foods?
- Do you eat foods containing hydrogenated oil?
- Do you or have you used artificial sweeteners (Nutrasweet/Aspartame, Splenda, Sweet n Low)?
- Do you eat foods containing preservatives, additives, dyes, or sweeteners?
- Do you charbroil or grill foods?
- Do you drink coffee, soda or alcohol regularly?
- Do you drink unfiltered tap water?
- Do you use a microwave?
- Do you microwave/cook/store food in plastic containers?
If the majority of your answers are yes, then your diet contributes significantly to your toxic load. Most likely, you’re also exposed to other irritants such as pollution, cigarette smoke, dry cleaning fluids, cosmetics and beauty products, exhaust fumes, cleaners, and medications.
You might want to consider detoxing, if you’re experiencing any of the following:
Reduced mental clarity
Not all cleanses are created equal. Many of my patients try one, that ‘everyone’ is doing with no results. Sometimes, they even feel worse. It’s important to have a qualified physician help you find one that is right for you. When done correctly, the results can be life changing. And remember, if you go back to your old habits once you’ve completed a cleanse, the benefits won’t last. I see a lot of people go through the effort, but don’t change their lifestyle. I highly recommend avoiding unhealthy foods and products to guarantee long lasting results.
Live natural. Live well.