Posts Tagged ‘thyroid disorders’
Do I Need to Detox?
I get asked this question a lot. Our bodies aren’t made to handle the amount of toxins we’re constantly exposed to. Toxin overload can lead to a whole host of illnesses and side effects. Take the quiz below to see if you need to do a cleanse.
- Do you eat processed foods, fast food and/or eat out regularly?
- Do you eat non-organic animal products and produce?
- Do you consume genetically altered foods?
- Do you eat foods containing hydrogenated oil?
- Do you or have you used artificial sweeteners (Nutrasweet/Aspartame, Splenda, Sweet n Low)?
- Do you eat foods containing preservatives, additives, dyes, or sweeteners?
- Do you charbroil or grill foods?
- Do you drink coffee, soda or alcohol regularly?
- Do you drink unfiltered tap water?
- Do you use a microwave?
- Do you microwave/cook/store food in plastic containers?
If the majority of your answers are yes, then your diet contributes significantly to your toxic load. Most likely, you’re also exposed to other irritants such as pollution, cigarette smoke, dry cleaning fluids, cosmetics and beauty products, exhaust fumes, cleaners, and medications.
You might want to consider detoxing, if you’re experiencing any of the following:
Reduced mental clarity
Not all cleanses are created equal. Many of my patients try one, that ‘everyone’ is doing with no results. Sometimes, they even feel worse. It’s important to have a qualified physician help you find one that is right for you. When done correctly, the results can be life changing. And remember, if you go back to your old habits once you’ve completed a cleanse, the benefits won’t last. I see a lot of people go through the effort, but don’t change their lifestyle. I highly recommend avoiding unhealthy foods and products to guarantee long lasting results.
Live natural. Live well.
Besides creating the Great Eastern Garbage Patch and polluting our oceans, plastic has been know to cause:
* Brain damage
* Increased fat formation and risk of obesity
* Hyperactivity, increased aggressiveness, and learning impairment
* Auto-immune disorders
* Early puberty, stimulation of mammary gland development, disrupted reproductive cycles, and ovarian dysfunction -I’ve treated girls as young as 7 getting their periods.
* Thyroid disorders
* Stimulation of prostate cancer cells
* Increased prostate size and decreased sperm production
* Increase cancer risk
I know the side effects might seem scary and overwhelming. But doing regular detoxes, getting plenty of clean water, eating nutritious foods, taking the proper supplements can help prevent, eliminate, and reduce any of the above health issues.
I also know, that’s it’s pretty much impossible to avoid using all plastics. I recently interviewed a woman who tried for 2 weeks and failed. A few recommendations to limiting your exposure:
• Storing your food in glass container
• Using cooking oils that are in glass bottles
• Drinking filtered water in metal container
• Do NOT microwave in any plastic. For that matter, don’t microwave at all.
• Using reusable bags when shopping
• And PLEASE recycle!
Please tell your friends, family, and communities this vital information.
Live natural. Live well.
Heather Lounsbury, L.Ac.