Posts Tagged ‘lemon’
Cleanses and detoxes seem to be the latest trend. I’m constantly hearing about the latest fad to get rid of toxins and lose weight. After living for over 20 years in Los Angeles I heard them all. Only eat cabbage. Don’t eat broccoli. Drink only sweetened lemon water. All promising to be the miracle cure to all of your woes. Does it sound too good to be true? Then it probably is.
So why cleanse? Do you need to do one? Many of my patients who eat organic, plant based, alcohol free, and/or sugar free are less likely to need to support. But unfortunately our planet has become so toxic, that our bodies need added support from time to time.
The incidence of chronic disease is ever increasing. What we put into our bodies is important. So is the air we breathe, the clothes we wear, and our homes. We are exposed to poisonous substances all day long. Sorry to sound so negative. But the reality isn’t so pretty.
Statistics on Toxin Exposure
* Less than half of the almost 80,000 chemicals in existence today are tested for safety.
* We’re exposed to more than 50,000 chemicals daily.
* Your home may contain over 1,000 chemicals.
• Heavy metals
Symptoms of heavy metal poisoning may include
*Depression, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, irritability, lack of concentration, memory lapses, and nervousness
*Damage to vital organs
*Mental retardation, Cerebral palsy, autism, deafness, blindness
*Trembling hands, numbness in the hands and feet, loss of muscle coordination
Sources of Mercury
• Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Norway have all banned mercury fillings. The World Health Organization has found that the average individual could absorb as much as 120 micrograms of mercury per day from their amalgam fillings, which is considered a toxic.
Mercury is found in any vaccines w/ thimerosal, a preservative.
Some illnesses that are becoming all too common
• Heart disease
• Asthma and allergies
• Digestive issues
• Thyroid disorders
• Chronic fatigue
• Adrenal fatigue
• Skin issues
• Autoimmune diseases such as hypothyroidism, rhuematoid arthritis, lupus, Type I diabetes, and MS.
What Can You Eat?
1. Try to limit your calories to 1200 per day. If exercising, know your limits and listen to your body. Do cleanse for at least 3 days and up to 30 days.
2.Eat only whole, plant based foods. Raw as much as possible at least once per day.
3.Focus on dark leafy greens at every meal or drink. These include
broccoli, spinach, kale, collard greens, chard, arugula, and watercress.
4. Organic only! If your budget is tight, at least avoid the Dirty Dozen.
5.Vegetable broth. Drink this soup throughout the day when hungry.
1 lb. cut up green beans
3 celery stalks
4 medium zucchini
2 bunches of parsley
4 cups of water
Place ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer
for 10-15 minutes until veggies are tender.
Take off heat and let sit with lid off for 5 minutes.
Enjoy hot or cold.
6. Smoothies daily with unsweetened nut milk. Be sure to include greens such as kale, spinach, or lettuce and healthy fats such as chia seeds.
7. Flax, chia, and/ or hemp seeds: 2 tablespoons per day in your salad, on steamed veggies, or in smoothies.
8. Juicing 16 to 64 ounces per day, if you have a juicer or access to a juice bar. Include turmeric and ginger in your drinks.
9. Raw apple cider vinegar: 2 tablespoons in 8 ounces of water 3 times per day before meals.
10.Herbal teas- detox or digestive support teas. One of my favorite brands is Yogi Tea.
10. Lemon juice in your water all day, especially first thing in the morning.
11. Water: drink a minimum of glasses daily per day.
* Supplements- milk thistle, coriander
* Epsom Salts
*Eases stress by replenishing magnesium in the body. Magnesium helps produce serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical.
*Flushes out toxins and heavy metals- 2 cups in your bath every week for just ten minutes
*Relieves cold symptoms
*Relaxes muscles/reduces inflammation- relieves pain/ asthma, treats bruises/sprains.
*Prevents hardening of the arteries
*Makes insulin more effective by balancing magnesium and sulfate levels.
*Epsom salts can also be taken internally with some water for constipation
* Gall bladder cleanse, nightly until no stones
1/2 cups Extra virgin olive oil
4 oz of fresh limes, lemons or grapefruit juice
Epsom salt – 4 tablespoons
*Sweat: steam, baths, sauna, and exercise
* Massage: to stimulate the lymphatic system
• Colonics: Most people are constipated or use coffee to get their digestion moving. A buildup of toxins in your large intestine is the result.
What to Avoid during a Cleanse (and always)
• Alcohol & caffeine
• Processed food
• Hydrogenated oil
• Fried food
• Animal products, especially non-organic
• Genetically Modified Foods
Feeling Sick while Detoxing?
If your body is full of toxins that need to be released, you may feel nauseous or even get sick during a cleanse. This is completely normal (unfortunately), especially if it’s your first time. If you do feel sick, take activated charcoal 3-4 times a day on an empty stomach.
Feeling very weak? Stop.
Please consult a physician before doing a cleanse, especially if you have cancer, are pregnant, are taking medication, have issues with your immune system, or other chronic illness.
Live natural. Live well.
What’s the first suggestion I give to all my patients? Drink lemon water first thing in the morning. Even better? Sip on lemon water through out the day. For those of you who don’t like to drink water, lemon is the perfect addition to a ‘plain’ glass of water. No need for soda, sugared drinks or overly sweet juices.
The Benefits of Lemon
*Aids in absorption of water and hydrates the lymphatic system.
* Mini detox to support the liver’s ability to flush out toxins.
* Alkalizes the body leading to less inflammation and disease
* Stimulates metabolism, especially helpful for those prone to constipation.
* High in vitamin C. There are approximately 28 mg in one lemon, which is close to half of what you need in a day to maintain a strong immune system and youthful skin.
What could be simpler? Squeezing half or a whole lemon in a glass of water or over your fresh salad has so many fitness promoting properties. A lemon a day truly keeps the doctor away.
Live natural. Live well.
Leaky gut? Sounds pretty gross, doesn’t it? Well it is. And it’s just what it sounds like, too. The intestines become permeable, allowing toxins, bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites to enter the blood. Ewww! Leaky gut can cause a whole host of health issues, usually misdiagnosed and mistreated. (See symptoms below.)
Causes of leaky gut
* Gluten intolerance & food sensitivities
* Use of antacids, antibiotics & non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs- Ibuprofen, aspirin, Naproxen)
* Over consumption of alcohol
* Regularly overeating
Symptoms of a leaky gut
* Digestive complaints, including: gas, constipation and/or diarrhea
* Chronic fatigue
* Skin conditions, including rashes, rosacea, & eczema
* Fuzzy thinking
* Mood swings
* Weakened immunity
* Chronic joint or muscle aches
* Asthma, bronchitis, respiratory infections
* Sinus congestion
* Food allergies
Foods to Avoid or Minimize
In order to heal leaky gut it is necessary to temporarily eliminate all of the following:
* Junk & processed foods
* Refined grains, especially white flours
* Starchy vegetables- beets, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, turnips, yams
* High glycemic fruits-banana, dried fruits, fruit juices
* Refined & fake sugars
* Alcohol, sodas, and caffeinated drinks
Foods to Eat
Make sure to eat as much organic as you can. Take a look at my posting on which foods are most important to eat organic.
* Lemon in water daily
* Non-starchy vegetables, including: alfalfa sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, bean sprouts, beet greens, bell peppers, bok choi, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chives, cilantro, collard greens, cucumber, dandelion greens, eggplant, endive, escarole, fennel, garlic, ginger, green beans, horseradish, kale, leeks, okra, onions, radish, romaine lettuce, mustard greens, parsley, pickles, sauerkraut, scallions, snap peas, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, summer squash, Swiss chard, tomatoes, watercress, zucchini.
* Fresh fruits, including: apples, apricots, berries , cantaloupe, cherries, currants, dates, figs, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew melon, kiwi, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, persimmon, pineapple, plums, pomegranate, tangerine, watermelon.
Supplements to Take
* Digestive enzymes
* Chinese herbs
* Plant Source Omega 3s
There is hope! The microvilli in the small intestine can be repaired. They normally regenerate within four to five days. The healing process may take longer, depending on the severity of the damage.
Live Natural. Live Well.
I’ve had so many patients ask about the potential side effects of radiation hitting the West Coast. This gives me a chance to talk about my favorite subject- FOOD.
Whole Grains & Legumes
Brown rice should be lightly roasted to increase your protection against radiation.
Adzuki beans- little red beans used in soups and stews- are great for improving kidney function, which is necessary for removing toxins.
Other delicious grains to help protect you include: buckwheat, millet, and quinoa.
Most sea vegetables contain a polysaccharide that binds to radioactive strontium and other pollutants. This helps to eliminate them from the body.
Kombu, a common kelp, can be used when cooking beans or vegetables. Add to your soup or salad a few tablespoons of sea vegetables, such as nori (used in sushi rolls), hiziki, alaria, arame, or wakame.
1 or 2 bowls of unpasteurized miso soup every day, preferably prepared with kombu seaweed and root vegetables.
Miso broth with root vegetables (like carrots, beets, yams, onions, turnips and radishes) stimulates digestive enzymes and supports the elimination of pollutants and toxins from the blood.
Eat Your Veggies
Any dark, leafy greens will promote detoxification, including: dandelion, kale, cilantro, and chard. Other veggies to alkaline the body and reduce inflammation are: pumpkin, squash, garlic, avocado, and broccoli.
Root vegetables are a great source of antioxidants and support your kidneys.
Add tumeric- the spice that makes curry yellow- to your veggies to reduce inflammation and support your immune system.
Adding lemon to your filtered water supports the liver’s function to eliminate toxins. It also stimulates your metabolism. Who wouldn’t want that? I recommend drinking lemon water all the time, but especially first thing in the morning to jumpstart your day. No matter what the circumstances.
The Iodide Question
There are many conflicting studies about the benefits and efficacy of taking iodine to protect your thyroid from radiation. So I’m hesitant to say anything about it. I personally think taking a low dose potassium iodide pill is usually safe as long as you don’t have a thyroid condition already. Short-term use should be fine, but please consult your physician first. According to the CDC, a single dose is all you need. Should radioactive iodine remain in the environment for more than 24 hours, another dose might be required. You shouldn’t take any at all unless you know that there is an immediate radiation hazard.
Other Steps to Take
Reishi and Cordyceps mushrooms protects your bone marrow from radiation and other toxins.
Spirulina and chlorella help the liver to flush on toxins, including radiation.
If you don’t like to or don’t know how to cook with tumeric, as suggested above, you can take it as supplement. 2-4 grams per day is should be enough.
Some homeopathic remedies to treat radiation: radium bromatum, uranium nitricum, plutonium nitricum, x-ray and plumbum. Please consult a qualified physician or homeopath before taking.
Taking a bath in Epsom salts, sea salt, bentonite clay, and/or baking soda to support your body’s ability to release toxins.
Acupuncture has long been established as great for detoxification and supporting the thyroid & immune system.
Foods To Avoid
You want to make sure your body can easily eliminate toxins, especially radiation. The healthier you are, the better your organs can do their job. So you want to avoid acidic foods and foods that slow down your body’s ability to detoxify. It is important to avoid coffee, sodas, refined sugars, dairy, and ‘white’ (bread, rice, etc…) and processed foods
All of these tips should be incorporated in to your daily lives, whether or not you’re directly affected by nuclear fall out in Japan. Eating a plant based, alkalizing diet will help protect you from almost any disease or pollution.
Live natural. Live well.