Posts Tagged ‘infant’
The information out there can be so confusing. Have any of these thoughts run through your head?
My doctor says I HAVE to eat meat.
Is it safe for my baby?
All I can think is I need to: get rid of the baby weight pronto, have energy, keep my baby healthy.
Breastfeeding is definitely the best choice for guaranteeing better health for your child. Keep in mind that everything you eat, your baby is eating, too.
What to avoid and why
* Caffeine including chocolate (Sorry!): irritability, poor sleep, and colic.
* Sugar: poor sleep, irritability, decreased immune function, thrush, diaper rash, and eczema.
* Alcohol and recreational drugs: lethargy, poor physical and/or mental development, decreased immunity, thrush, and diaper rash.
* Medications: Talk with your doctor to see if there are safer options while lactating. There may be a safer medical or herbal version. Side effects may vary, depending on the medication.
* Spicy food, cabbage, dairy, raw onion, and broccoli: colic.
* High allergen foods (gluten, nuts, dairy, soy) as your baby may develop an allergy from early exposure.
What to Eat
• Eat whole unprocessed foods including fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds, and whole grains daily.
• Because of brain development, eating a balance of essential fatty acids is key. Limit meat and dairy products and include hemp seeds, kale, flax seeds, avocado, and seaweed into your diet.
• Keep taking your whole foods source pre-natal for added nutrients. If you haven’t already, add a probiotic for your immune system and digestion.
Now that you’ve made the best possible choice for you child, your breast milk will help your baby to thrive. Every child is different. How your diet affects her may change or be different from child to child. Watch how she responds from meal to meal and you’ll know what’s best.
Live natural. Live well.