Posts Tagged ‘dairy’
How many days of work have you called in sick? How many days have you just not felt that great? Do you know a coworker who is always sick? Stress taxes the body. Bad food, late nights, no sleep, overexertion, & different time zones regularly or even every day would wear out anyone.
A lot of people have weakened immune systems due to stress, poor diets, travel, overuse of antibiotics, lack of sleep, and overwork. This makes them prone to colds and the flu. Having a lower immunity can also make you prone to being really sick for longer periods, especially when compared to someone who is relatively healthy. That’s why travelers tend to get really sick. It’s rare that they just get a case of the sniffles.
Improving someone’s immune system so they don’t get sick is ideal. Taking care of yourself on a daily basis, along with acupuncture, taking Chinese herbs, massage, Reiki, supplements, and aromatherapy, along with dietary changes, have a great impact on one’s health.
Some of the signs that you’re overstressed
*Poor sleep, Anxiety, Brain fog, Acne
* PMS, Low libido, Weight gain
* High blood pressure/cholesterol, Excessive evening hunger
* Hair loss, Exhaustion, Impaired immunity
* Slow healing, Salt/sugar cravings, Caffeine addiction
Once a person is sick, the sooner treatment is administered, the quicker the recovery. Similar treatment protocols are administered with someone who is sick or just starting to come down with something. The use of Chinese medicine gets rid of an infection without the side effects of antibiotics. Treating an infection naturally doesn’t suppress the contagion, so that it doesn’t just come right back.
These simple, easy to follow tips can help you and your loved ones stay healthy & recover quickly from colds and the flu.
1) Take at least 500 mg of vitamin C a day. Great sources include dark leafy greens, broccoli, bell pepper, lemon, and persimmon. C also aids in iron absorption.
2) Supplement with acidopopholus/probiotics to encourage healthy bacteria to grow in your digestive tract. Thus, boosting your immune system and improving your mood.
3) Eat garlic. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and tastes great.
4) Drink two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar daily to help with allergies, nausea, asthma, fat, migraines, cholesterol, blood pressure, fungus, flu, and acne.
5) Eat turmeric in soups, curries, and smoothies. It’s a natural antibiotic, reduces cough, detoxifies, reduces inflammation, improves skin, and aids in digestion.
6) Take a vitamin B complex for reducing stress and improving energy.
7) Ginger is a natural antiviral, reduces inflammation and pain, kills parasites, eliminates mucus, and aids. Digestion.
8) Eat your antioxidants to prevent illness of any kind.
Prunes Kale Raisins Spinach
Berries Brussels sprouts Broccoli
Beets Plums Onion Corn
9) Eat plant based Omega 3s for brain function and regulating hormones. Sources include walnuts, hemp, flax, kale, seaweed, chia seeds, and acai berries.
10) Essential oils for stress- Lavender, Neroli, Chamomile, Cypress, Frankincense, Basil, Jasmine, Valerian, Chamomile, Lemon, Rose
11) Drink water. Drink half your weight in ounces daily. More, if you are flying.
12.) Avoid dairy and sugar. They cause inflammation, fatigue, and weakened immunity.
13) Avoid caffeine because it exaggerates body’s response to stress.
14) Put Epsom salts in your bath for detoxification and muscle tension.
Following these easy to follow tips will lead to a much happier and healthier you. Stay calm, vibrant, and full of energy with out breaking the bank.
Live natural. Live well.
Are you one of those people who seems to always be coming down with something? How many special occasions have you missed, because you or a family member is sick? How many days have you called in sick this year? The stress of our every day lives taxes the body. Bad food, late nights, little to no sleep, caffeine and sugar addiction, and high stress levels every day would wear out anyone. Chinese medicine and proper nutrition can help you stay healthy and recover quickly from colds and the flu. Traditionally in China patients only paid their doctor when they were healthy. This motivated doctors to prevent illness instead of frantically trying to put out fires. Can you imagine, if we still did this today?
A lot of people have weakened immune systems due to the fast paced lifestyle most of us lead. This makes them prone to colds and the flu and even more serious illnesses. Having a lower immunity can also make you prone to being really sick for longer periods, especially when compared to someone who is relatively healthy. It’s rare to just get a case of the sniffles.Improving one’s immune system, so you don’t get sick is ideal. This process can start immediately and have a long-term impact on one’s health.
Once a person is sick, the sooner treatment is administered, the quicker the recovery. The use of Chinese medicine and herbal supplements gets rid of an infection without the side effects of antibiotics. Naturally treating an infection doesn’t suppress the contagion, but helps the body heal itself. So the bug doesn’t come right back.
9 easy preventative measures
* Eat lots of garlic
* Take vitamin C daily
* Avoid dairy and sugar
* Minimize inflammatory foods
* Support your adrenal glands
* Minimize stress
* Take a non-dairy probiotic
* Indulge in Epsom salt baths
* Mushroom or algae source of D3 daily
These tips result in:
* No more feeling miserable
* Have more energy
* Save money
* No more calling in sick (unless you want to)
* Avoid side effects of antibiotics and other medications
* Enjoy your life
* Make your boss happy
I can’t stress enough how prevention is key. Start today. Pick a quality probiotic and vitamin C. Make dinner using fresh garlic. Throw out all sweets. Staying healthy is really that simple.
Live natural. Live well.
The incidence of food allergies is on the rise. Mostly likely you or someone close to you suffers from some level of food sensitivities. Many of my patients come in for this very problem. Many of them don’t realize allergies might be causing or contributing to other health issues. (See list below.)
Why is this increase occurring?
I’ve found through research and clinical experience different reasons. A few of them include:
1- Over-consumption of or too early exposure (under 6) to high allergen foods.
2- Genetically modified foods.
3- Side effects of certain vaccines.
4- Weakened immunity, if not breast-fed or exposed to high allergen foods through breast milk.
5- Overuse of antibiotics- either as medication or in non-organic animal products.
Eight foods or groups of foods cause about 90% of all food allergies.
* Dairy products
* Shellfish (shrimp, crab, lobster)
* Fish (tuna, salmon, cod, halibut)
* Tree nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts)
One of the tricky things about food allergies is that they don’t always show up how you’d expect. Not everyone responds with an upset stomach, digestive complaints, or fatigue after eating. This is not something many doctors know, unfortunately and they may be slow to diagnose.
Food allergy symptoms
• Digestive: Diarrhea, Gas, Abdominal Pain, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Gallstones, Leaky Gut Syndrome, Celiac Disease, Weight Gain
• Emotional: Depression, ADD/ADHD, Autism, Panic Attacks, Anxiety
• Skin: Eczema, Psoriasis, Rosacea,
• Immunity: Ear Infections, Asthma, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Frequent Flus & Colds
• Other: Infertility, Migraines & Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy
If you have any of the above health concerns, please consult a qualified physician for diagnosis and treatment. There is hope! Healing or minimizes food allergies is now possible. Abstaining from those foods, acupuncture/acupressure, detoxification, proper nutrition, and appropriate supplementation are a part of the protocol. Boosting your immune system, cleansing your body of toxins, and healing any damage done to your digestive tract from the exposure to allergen foods will bring you optimal wellness. The result will most likely be at minimum a reduction in allergy symptoms, and at best a complete elimination of your allergies.
Live natural. Live well.
Leaky gut? Sounds pretty gross, doesn’t it? Well it is. And it’s just what it sounds like, too. The intestines become permeable, allowing toxins, bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites to enter the blood. Ewww! Leaky gut can cause a whole host of health issues, usually misdiagnosed and mistreated. (See symptoms below.)
Causes of leaky gut
* Gluten intolerance & food sensitivities
* Use of antacids, antibiotics & non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs- Ibuprofen, aspirin, Naproxen)
* Over consumption of alcohol
* Regularly overeating
Symptoms of a leaky gut
* Digestive complaints, including: gas, constipation and/or diarrhea
* Chronic fatigue
* Skin conditions, including rashes, rosacea, & eczema
* Fuzzy thinking
* Mood swings
* Weakened immunity
* Chronic joint or muscle aches
* Asthma, bronchitis, respiratory infections
* Sinus congestion
* Food allergies
Foods to Avoid or Minimize
In order to heal leaky gut it is necessary to temporarily eliminate all of the following:
* Junk & processed foods
* Refined grains, especially white flours
* Starchy vegetables- beets, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, turnips, yams
* High glycemic fruits-banana, dried fruits, fruit juices
* Refined & fake sugars
* Alcohol, sodas, and caffeinated drinks
Foods to Eat
Make sure to eat as much organic as you can. Take a look at my posting on which foods are most important to eat organic.
* Lemon in water daily
* Non-starchy vegetables, including: alfalfa sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, bean sprouts, beet greens, bell peppers, bok choi, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chives, cilantro, collard greens, cucumber, dandelion greens, eggplant, endive, escarole, fennel, garlic, ginger, green beans, horseradish, kale, leeks, okra, onions, radish, romaine lettuce, mustard greens, parsley, pickles, sauerkraut, scallions, snap peas, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, summer squash, Swiss chard, tomatoes, watercress, zucchini.
* Fresh fruits, including: apples, apricots, berries , cantaloupe, cherries, currants, dates, figs, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew melon, kiwi, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, persimmon, pineapple, plums, pomegranate, tangerine, watermelon.
Supplements to Take
* Digestive enzymes
* Chinese herbs
* Plant Source Omega 3s
There is hope! The microvilli in the small intestine can be repaired. They normally regenerate within four to five days. The healing process may take longer, depending on the severity of the damage.
Live Natural. Live Well.
Another question I get asked a lot: “Don’t you need milk for calcium?” The answer is a big “NO.” On top of dairy not having much calcium compared to many plant foods (see below), a lot of people are allergic/lactose intolerant. This means they can’t access the calcium in dairy anyway and it can make them really sick. Dairy has also been linked to heart disease, prostate cancer, and Type 2 diabetes.
The dairy industry paid almost $200 million in the US in 2011 on advertising. So that’s pretty much everyone believes you can only get enough calcium from eating dairy. Marketing. The guys at Mad Men would be proud.
A staggering statistic that also disproves this myth- On average, Americans eat the most dairy and have the highest rates of osteoporosis. According to the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, we eat almost 300 pounds of dairy per year.
Besides not having the highest levels of calcium, eating a lot of dairy and animal protein makes your body acidic. To alkalize itself, the body leeches calcium from your bones.
Inuits have the highest dietary calcium intake of any other people in the world– above 2000 mg per day from fish bones. Their diet is also the highest in the world in protein- up to 400 g a day mostly from fish and have the highest rate of osteoporosis in the world. The Bantu of Africa consume an average of 350 mg of calcium a day and have almost no cases of osteoporosis.
Still don’t believe me? Look at these numbers.
In milligrams per 100 gram serving
Whole milk 118
Collard greens 203
Sesame seeds 1160
In milligrams per 8 oz (1 cup)
Soybean sprouts 50
Alfalfa sprouts 25
Corn meal 50
Carrot juice 57
Navy beans 140
Pinto beans 100
Lima beans 60
Black beans 60
Sunflower seeds 260
Recommended Daily Allowance
* 0-6 months 200 mg
* 6-12 months 260 mg
* 1-3 years 700 mg
* 4-8 years 1000 mg
* 9-18 years 1300 mg
* 19-50 years 1000 mg
* pregnant/lactating 1300 mg
* 51-70 years male 1000 mg
* 51-70 years female 1200 mg
* 70+ years 1200 mg
So as you can see, ‘Milk it does the body good” campaign just isn’t true. Do yourself a favor. Go to your local farmers market this weekend. Try some fresh, green veggies. Buy yourself a juicer and enjoy. Grab a handful of almonds. Eat some hummus. Your bones will thank you.
Live natural. Live well.
Note: Oxalic acid, which is found in spinach, rhubarb, chard, and beet greens binds with calcium and reduces its absorption. They should not be considered good sources of calcium.
You may think that yeast is only a problem “down there.” But it can affect the intestines as well. Candida can be hard to diagnose, because it shares symptoms with other health issues, such as irritable bowel syndrome and gluten intolerance. You might find yourself bouncing between doctors in an effort to find the true culprit of symptoms such as bloating, diarrhea, constipation, sinusitis, or headaches.
If you answer ‘yes’ to a many of the below questions, you probably have Candida.
*Have you ever taken repeated or prolonged courses of antibiotics?
*Do you eat non-organic animal products, which contain antibiotics and steroids?
*Have you taken a prolonged course of steroids or birth control pills?
*Have you been bothered by recurrent vaginal, prostate, or urinary-tract infections?
*Are you bothered by hormone-related issues, including: PMS, infertility, menstrual
irregularities, or sexual dysfunction?
*Are you overly sensitive to certain odors?
*Do you have memory or concentration problems?
*Do you suffer from digestive issues?
*Does your skin itch, burn, or rash easily?
*Do some foods disagree worsen your symptoms?
Eliminate yeast-promoting foods
For a minimum of 6 weeks, eliminate foods that feed yeast and encourage its growth:
Sugar, dairy, yeast, fruit, grains, and fermented foods. Eat no more than 40-60 grams of carbohydrates a day. Focus on eating vegetables, nuts, seeds, unprocessed oils, and drink plenty of water.
The good news is that Candida is treatable with simple dietary changes and the right supplements. It can take a few months to really eliminate the yeast. So don’t give up, if your symptoms don’t away immediately.
Live natural. Live well.
I’ve had so many patients ask about the potential side effects of radiation hitting the West Coast. This gives me a chance to talk about my favorite subject- FOOD.
Whole Grains & Legumes
Brown rice should be lightly roasted to increase your protection against radiation.
Adzuki beans- little red beans used in soups and stews- are great for improving kidney function, which is necessary for removing toxins.
Other delicious grains to help protect you include: buckwheat, millet, and quinoa.
Most sea vegetables contain a polysaccharide that binds to radioactive strontium and other pollutants. This helps to eliminate them from the body.
Kombu, a common kelp, can be used when cooking beans or vegetables. Add to your soup or salad a few tablespoons of sea vegetables, such as nori (used in sushi rolls), hiziki, alaria, arame, or wakame.
1 or 2 bowls of unpasteurized miso soup every day, preferably prepared with kombu seaweed and root vegetables.
Miso broth with root vegetables (like carrots, beets, yams, onions, turnips and radishes) stimulates digestive enzymes and supports the elimination of pollutants and toxins from the blood.
Eat Your Veggies
Any dark, leafy greens will promote detoxification, including: dandelion, kale, cilantro, and chard. Other veggies to alkaline the body and reduce inflammation are: pumpkin, squash, garlic, avocado, and broccoli.
Root vegetables are a great source of antioxidants and support your kidneys.
Add tumeric- the spice that makes curry yellow- to your veggies to reduce inflammation and support your immune system.
Adding lemon to your filtered water supports the liver’s function to eliminate toxins. It also stimulates your metabolism. Who wouldn’t want that? I recommend drinking lemon water all the time, but especially first thing in the morning to jumpstart your day. No matter what the circumstances.
The Iodide Question
There are many conflicting studies about the benefits and efficacy of taking iodine to protect your thyroid from radiation. So I’m hesitant to say anything about it. I personally think taking a low dose potassium iodide pill is usually safe as long as you don’t have a thyroid condition already. Short-term use should be fine, but please consult your physician first. According to the CDC, a single dose is all you need. Should radioactive iodine remain in the environment for more than 24 hours, another dose might be required. You shouldn’t take any at all unless you know that there is an immediate radiation hazard.
Other Steps to Take
Reishi and Cordyceps mushrooms protects your bone marrow from radiation and other toxins.
Spirulina and chlorella help the liver to flush on toxins, including radiation.
If you don’t like to or don’t know how to cook with tumeric, as suggested above, you can take it as supplement. 2-4 grams per day is should be enough.
Some homeopathic remedies to treat radiation: radium bromatum, uranium nitricum, plutonium nitricum, x-ray and plumbum. Please consult a qualified physician or homeopath before taking.
Taking a bath in Epsom salts, sea salt, bentonite clay, and/or baking soda to support your body’s ability to release toxins.
Acupuncture has long been established as great for detoxification and supporting the thyroid & immune system.
Foods To Avoid
You want to make sure your body can easily eliminate toxins, especially radiation. The healthier you are, the better your organs can do their job. So you want to avoid acidic foods and foods that slow down your body’s ability to detoxify. It is important to avoid coffee, sodas, refined sugars, dairy, and ‘white’ (bread, rice, etc…) and processed foods
All of these tips should be incorporated in to your daily lives, whether or not you’re directly affected by nuclear fall out in Japan. Eating a plant based, alkalizing diet will help protect you from almost any disease or pollution.
Live natural. Live well.
How many days have you called in sick this year? How many special occasions have you missed, because you or a family member is sick? Again? The stress of our every day lives taxes the body. Bad food, late nights, little to no sleep, caffeine and sugar addiction, and high stress levels every day would wear out anyone. Chinese medicine and proper nutrition can help you stay healthy & recover quickly from colds and the flu.
A lot of people have weakened immune systems due to the fast paced lifestyle most of us lead. This makes them prone to colds and the flu. Having a lower immunity can also make you prone to being really sick for longer periods, especially when compared to someone who is relatively healthy. It’s rare to just get a case of the sniffles.
Improving one’s immune system, so you don’t get sick is ideal. This process can start immediately and have a long-term impact on one’s health. These modalities are also highly effective for those with HIV/AIDS.
Once a person is sick, the sooner treatment is administered, the quicker the recovery. Similar treatment protocols are administered with someone who is sick or just starting to come down with something. The types of herbs and points used do change, but daily acupuncture treatments and herbs are essential. The use of Chinese medicine gets rid of an infection without the side effects of antibiotics. Naturally treating an infection doesn’t suppress the contagion, but helps the body heal itself. So the bug doesn’t come right back.
A few, easy preventative measures: Eat lots of garlic, take vitamin C daily, and avoid dairy and sugar (sorry!). These simple steps may help you:
* avoid feeling miserable
* have more energy
* save money
*no more calling in sick (unless you want to)
* avoid side effects of antibiotics
* thoroughly enjoy your holidays
Live natural. Live well.
The number of children with autism has gone from 1 in 10,00 in 1980 to 1 in 88 girls and 1 in 54 boys today. Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability with a growth rate of 1,148%. The numbers are staggering. Some of this because of diagnosing has gotten better. But most of the increase is due to the toxins to which we and our children are exposed.
Many parents come to me after their child has already been diagnosed. Most autistic children develops at a healthy rate, and then ‘suddenly’, their behavior changes drastically.
Some of the symptoms include:
- Digestive issues
- Increased pain threshold
- Lack of attention and difficulty making eye contact
- Issues with non-verbal communication
- Lacking in verbal communication skills
- Poor immune responses
- Problems with social relationships
- Obsessive attachments to certain objects
- Sensory integration problems
- Poor behavior, whining, or tantrums
- Poor Detoxification
- Heavy Metal Toxicity
- Inflamed Gut and Microbial Imbalance
- Food Allergies
- Nutritional Deficiencies
What you can do
- Have your child tested for heavy metal poisoning, food allergies, and gut health.
- Put your child on an allergy elimination diet.
- Avoid vaccines, especially those containing mercury.
- Avoid amalgam/silver fillings, as these contain mercury.
- Avoid all toxic cleaning and beauty products.
- Feed your family organic, non-genetically modified foods.
- Receive acupuncture/acupressure treatments along with herbal medicine.
- Research what supplements will help your child.
I can help your autistic child with any of the above steps to have a healthier, more fulfilling life. There is hope.
Live natural. Live well.