Posts Tagged ‘allergies’
Cleanses and detoxes seem to be the latest trend. I’m constantly hearing about the latest fad to get rid of toxins and lose weight. After living for over 20 years in Los Angeles I heard them all. Only eat cabbage. Don’t eat broccoli. Drink only sweetened lemon water. All promising to be the miracle cure to all of your woes. Does it sound too good to be true? Then it probably is.
So why cleanse? Do you need to do one? Many of my patients who eat organic, plant based, alcohol free, and/or sugar free are less likely to need to support. But unfortunately our planet has become so toxic, that our bodies need added support from time to time.
The incidence of chronic disease is ever increasing. What we put into our bodies is important. So is the air we breathe, the clothes we wear, and our homes. We are exposed to poisonous substances all day long. Sorry to sound so negative. But the reality isn’t so pretty.
Statistics on Toxin Exposure
* Less than half of the almost 80,000 chemicals in existence today are tested for safety.
* We’re exposed to more than 50,000 chemicals daily.
* Your home may contain over 1,000 chemicals.
• Heavy metals
Symptoms of heavy metal poisoning may include
*Depression, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, irritability, lack of concentration, memory lapses, and nervousness
*Damage to vital organs
*Mental retardation, Cerebral palsy, autism, deafness, blindness
*Trembling hands, numbness in the hands and feet, loss of muscle coordination
Sources of Mercury
• Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Norway have all banned mercury fillings. The World Health Organization has found that the average individual could absorb as much as 120 micrograms of mercury per day from their amalgam fillings, which is considered a toxic.
Mercury is found in any vaccines w/ thimerosal, a preservative.
Some illnesses that are becoming all too common
• Heart disease
• Asthma and allergies
• Digestive issues
• Thyroid disorders
• Chronic fatigue
• Adrenal fatigue
• Skin issues
• Autoimmune diseases such as hypothyroidism, rhuematoid arthritis, lupus, Type I diabetes, and MS.
What Can You Eat?
1. Try to limit your calories to 1200 per day. If exercising, know your limits and listen to your body. Do cleanse for at least 3 days and up to 30 days.
2.Eat only whole, plant based foods. Raw as much as possible at least once per day.
3.Focus on dark leafy greens at every meal or drink. These include
broccoli, spinach, kale, collard greens, chard, arugula, and watercress.
4. Organic only! If your budget is tight, at least avoid the Dirty Dozen.
5.Vegetable broth. Drink this soup throughout the day when hungry.
1 lb. cut up green beans
3 celery stalks
4 medium zucchini
2 bunches of parsley
4 cups of water
Place ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer
for 10-15 minutes until veggies are tender.
Take off heat and let sit with lid off for 5 minutes.
Enjoy hot or cold.
6. Smoothies daily with unsweetened nut milk. Be sure to include greens such as kale, spinach, or lettuce and healthy fats such as chia seeds.
7. Flax, chia, and/ or hemp seeds: 2 tablespoons per day in your salad, on steamed veggies, or in smoothies.
8. Juicing 16 to 64 ounces per day, if you have a juicer or access to a juice bar. Include turmeric and ginger in your drinks.
9. Raw apple cider vinegar: 2 tablespoons in 8 ounces of water 3 times per day before meals.
10.Herbal teas- detox or digestive support teas. One of my favorite brands is Yogi Tea.
10. Lemon juice in your water all day, especially first thing in the morning.
11. Water: drink a minimum of glasses daily per day.
* Supplements- milk thistle, coriander
* Epsom Salts
*Eases stress by replenishing magnesium in the body. Magnesium helps produce serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical.
*Flushes out toxins and heavy metals- 2 cups in your bath every week for just ten minutes
*Relieves cold symptoms
*Relaxes muscles/reduces inflammation- relieves pain/ asthma, treats bruises/sprains.
*Prevents hardening of the arteries
*Makes insulin more effective by balancing magnesium and sulfate levels.
*Epsom salts can also be taken internally with some water for constipation
* Gall bladder cleanse, nightly until no stones
1/2 cups Extra virgin olive oil
4 oz of fresh limes, lemons or grapefruit juice
Epsom salt – 4 tablespoons
*Sweat: steam, baths, sauna, and exercise
* Massage: to stimulate the lymphatic system
• Colonics: Most people are constipated or use coffee to get their digestion moving. A buildup of toxins in your large intestine is the result.
What to Avoid during a Cleanse (and always)
• Alcohol & caffeine
• Processed food
• Hydrogenated oil
• Fried food
• Animal products, especially non-organic
• Genetically Modified Foods
Feeling Sick while Detoxing?
If your body is full of toxins that need to be released, you may feel nauseous or even get sick during a cleanse. This is completely normal (unfortunately), especially if it’s your first time. If you do feel sick, take activated charcoal 3-4 times a day on an empty stomach.
Feeling very weak? Stop.
Please consult a physician before doing a cleanse, especially if you have cancer, are pregnant, are taking medication, have issues with your immune system, or other chronic illness.
Live natural. Live well.
How many days have you called in sick this year? How many special occasions have you missed, because you or a family member is sick? Again? The stress of our every day lives taxes the body. Bad food, late nights, little to no sleep, caffeine and sugar addiction, and high stress levels every day would wear out anyone. Chinese medicine and proper nutrition can help you stay healthy & recover quickly from colds and the flu.
A lot of people have weakened immune systems due to the fast paced lifestyle most of us lead. This makes them prone to colds and the flu. Having a lower immunity can also make you prone to being really sick for longer periods, especially when compared to someone who is relatively healthy. It’s rare to just get a case of the sniffles.
Improving one’s immune system, so you don’t get sick is ideal. This process can start immediately and have a long-term impact on one’s health. These modalities are also highly effective for those with HIV/AIDS.
Once a person is sick, the sooner treatment is administered, the quicker the recovery. Similar treatment protocols are administered with someone who is sick or just starting to come down with something. The types of herbs and points used do change, but daily acupuncture treatments and herbs are essential. The use of Chinese medicine gets rid of an infection without the side effects of antibiotics. Naturally treating an infection doesn’t suppress the contagion, but helps the body heal itself. So the bug doesn’t come right back.
A few, easy preventative measures: Eat lots of garlic, take vitamin C daily, and avoid dairy and sugar (sorry!). These simple steps may help you:
* avoid feeling miserable
* have more energy
* save money
*no more calling in sick (unless you want to)
* avoid side effects of antibiotics
* thoroughly enjoy your holidays
Live natural. Live well.
Do you seem to have a lot of sore throats or get sick often? Are you prone to losing your voice? Have you had to stay home from work or miss social engagements due to a lost voice?
There are many reasons for experiencing loss of voice, hoarseness, and sore throats. The symptoms can be caused by overuse or damage to the vocal cords, infections (sometimes low grade and undetected) or postnasal drip from either allergies or colds, which irritates the throat. Singers and vocal performers are especially susceptible to this problem given their lifestyle and the over-use of their vocal cords.
Prevention is key and can often be achieved with traditional Chinese medicine. If the problem already exists, acupuncture and other ancient protocols can quicken the healing process, sometimes within a matter of minutes.
Acupuncture works wonders — it clears out infection and stimulates circulation to the area, thus speeding the healing process. Herbs are often prescribed to soothe the throat, repair damage, expel infection, and reduce the congestion that leads to postnasal drip.
In addition, Dr. Lounsbury is never without her special Chinese berries from which she makes a warm tea that completely gets rid of hoarseness and soreness within minutes.
If you or someone in your family suffers from sore throats, hoarseness, or loss of voice, it’s time to consider Traditional Chinese Medicine. Her therapeutic approach will lessen occurrence and speed recovery time should there be one.
“My voice is my living. Dr. Lounsbury’s treatments save it anytime I’m feeling a cold coming on or I’ve been screaming too long into a microphone. I don’t know what I’d do without her.”
- James B., Singer