You may think that your sunscreen is helping to prevent skin cancer, so it must be safe. Wrong! Most sunscreens contain ingredients that are toxic to humans and marine life. I was just as shocked as you probably are about this learning this disturbing news.
Over 14,000 tons of sunscreen end up in coral reefs per year. Some ingredients cause coral bleaching and killing them. Many sunscreens also harm marine animals such as sea turtles and their eggs, sea urchin, fish and marine mammals. If these substances are hurting sea creatures, just think what they may be doing to us!
Ingredients to Avoid
The main ingredient to avoid is oxybenzone, which is found in over 3,500 sunscreen brands across the globe. Octinoxate is even more toxic, but is usually found in lower concentrations in most products.
More ingredients to avoid to protect our oceans.
- Zinc oxide
- 4-methylbenzylidene camphor
- Titanium dioxide
- Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA)
So what should you use?
Luckily, there are plenty of brands that are ocean friendly. Here are a few of my favorites. Please tell me what cruelty-free brands you like!
- Badger, Jason, Alba Botanical,
- Potion, Nature’s Gate
- Sante Sun, Lavera, 100% pure
Protecting Your Skin Through Nutrition
What better way to keep your skin healthy and glowing, but through food! Dig into these nutritious and delicious treats to prevent sun damage and keep you fit on the inside as well.
- Cantaloupe, kale, mustard greens, Swiss chard, Romaine lettuce, arugula, yams, sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, mangos, spaghetti squash
- Red cabbage, watermelon, cooked tomatoes, papaya, guava, asparagus, red bell peppers, apricots, persimmon, grapefruit
- Spirulina, chlorella, algae/seaweed, flax and hemp seeds, walnuts, chia seeds
- Beet greens, cooked spinach, watercress, Brussels sprouts, peas, broccoli, summer squash, pumpkin, pistachios
- Cloves, tempeh, edamame, tofu, green tea, peppermint, plums, black beans, garlic, blackberries, raspberries, cocoa
- Oats, brown and wild rice, hazelnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, avocado, turnip greens
- Strawberries, kiwi, oranges, lemons, limes, kumquat, green pepper, cauliflower
So get out there, enjoy a little sun, take a swim, and be safe!
Live natural. Live well.