Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
It’s that time of year! Pumpkins everywhere. Not only are they are great decoration for Halloween, they’re great for you. One of my fondest childhood memories is carving up a pumpkin in anticipation of dressing up and all the sugar I was about to consume. Luckily, now I look forward to all the pumpkin I get to eat instead.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin
Pumpkin is naturally low in calories and rich in health-promoting nutrients, including:
* reduces bad cholesterol levels, thus reducing the risk of heart disease
* controls blood sugar levels
* promotes healthy digestion
* encourages weight loss
* Balances fluid levels
* promotes strong bones
* necessary for energy production
* maintains healthy blood pressure
Alpha-carotene & Beta-carotene
* improves vision & reduces risk of cataracts
* reverses sun damage to the skin & slows the aging process
* is an anti-inflammatory
* prevents tumor growth
* boosts the immune system
* protects against heart disease
* boosts immunity
* reduces high blood pressure and heart disease
* regulates cholesterol levels
* slows aging by protecting the skin from sun damage
* reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and certain cancers
* promotes a strong immune system
* strengthens the bones
* supports heart function
Pantothenic acid/vitamin B5
* balances hormone levels
* manages stress levels
My favorite pumpkin dish is a really simple soup- Just cook some vegetable broth, 4-6 cups of pumpkin, onion, garlic, a little curry powder and a potato or two on simmer for 20 minutes. Add coconut milk at the end. Puree in blender and serve. Delicious!
Pumpkin seeds are high in vitamin E, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and are an excellent plant-based source of omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty acids. The seeds protect against prostate cancer and prevent osteoporosis.
One way I love to eat pumpkin seeds is to slightly toast them, put them in a blender with silken tofu, nutritional yeast, and Bragg’s amino acids. This makes a great dip any time of year.
So this year, make it a new tradition to use the whole pumpkin and make healthier choices during the holiday season.
Live natural. Live well.